- Mexican drug kingpin Joaquín ‘El Chapo’ Guzman was helicoptered out of New York City at around 3am Friday
- Armed guards stood watch at the Wall Street helipad in lower Manhattan as he was put on the chopper
- Flight records obtained by DailyMail.com indicated that he was taken to Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn
- From there he was flown to the US Penitentiary Administrative Maximum Facility (ADX) in Florence, Colorado
- Guzman’s transfer came less than 48 hours after he was sentenced to life in prison on Wednesday
- It was executed quickly because officials feared the drug lord could attempt yet another daring jail break
- ADX, the only federal super-maximum prison in the nation, houses America’s most notorious criminals, including ‘Unabomber’ Ted Kaczynski and Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev
- Guzman is expected to be held in ADX’s most isolated section, Range 13, and will be barred from visits by his beauty queen wife, Emma Aispuro Colonel, and their seven-year-old twin daughters
- ‘It’s not a place designed for humanity. It’s one click away from the death penalty,’ a former ADX warden said
Joaquín ‘El Chapo’ Guzman has been helicoptered out of New York City and is being transferred to the high security prison in Colorado where he will serve a life sentence.
The Mexican drug kingpin was spotted boarding a chopper at the Wall Street helipad in lower Manhattan at around 3am Friday as a number of heavily-armed guards and more than a dozen NYPD squad cars stood watch.
According to flight records obtained by DailyMail.com, the helicopter transported Guzman to Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn, where he was placed on a plane bound for the United States Penitentiary Administrative Maximum Facility in Florence, Colorado.
Commonly known as ADX, the fortress is the only federal super-maximum prison in the US.
Guzman, 62, is gearing up to spend the remainder of his life at the prison that’s home to America’s most notorious criminals, including ‘Unabomber’ Ted Kaczynski, Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 9/11 conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui and 1993 World Trade Center bomber Ramzi Yousef.
Guzman’s transfer was executed within hours of Guzman’s being sentenced to life in prison on Wednesday as officials feared the drug lord could attempt yet another daring jail break.
US District Judge Brian Cogan initially agreed to a recommendation that Guzman should remain in federal jail in Manhattan for an additional two months to help his lawyers mount an appeal, but authorities opted to ‘get him out of the city as soon as possible’ in light of his past escapes, defense attorney Jeffrey Lichtman confirmed.
Guzman is expected to be held in ADX’s most isolated section, Range 13.
He will be barred from visits by his beauty queen wife, Emma Aispuro Colonel, and their seven-year-old twin daughters.
‘It’s not a place designed for humanity,’ Robert Hood, warden of the prison dubbed ‘Alcatraz of the Rockies’ from 2002 to 2005, told the New York Post.
‘It’s one click away from the death penalty. All of a sudden, one day you’re put in a box and not cared about — that’s the punishment.’
Guzman had been the subject of extreme security measures carrying an untold cost ever since his extradition to the US in 2017 to face drug-trafficking charges.
Authorities were determined to prevent any repeat of Guzman’s legendary jailbreaks in Mexico.
The first was in 2001, when he escaped with help from guards.
The second took place in 2015, when he fled through a mile-long tunnel dug to the shower in his cell.
Guzman was put in solitary confinement in a high-security wing of the Manhattan jail that has housed terrorists and mobsters.
‘I drink unsanitary water, no air or sunlight, and the air pumped in makes my ears and throat hurt,’ he said at sentencing.
‘This has been psychological, emotional and mental torture 24 hours a day.’
For pretrial hearings in Brooklyn, authorities transporting Guzman to and from jail shut down the Brooklyn Bridge to make way for a police motorcade that includes a SWAT team and an ambulance, all tracked by helicopters.
Once the trial started, they secretly kept him locked up in the bowels of the courthouse during the week to make the logistics less arduous.