Gathering B top choices Nigeria were disappointed by an efficient Burundi outfit however a late Odion Ighalo strike fixed each of the three points.
Nigeria’s Africa Cup of Nations crusade got off to a triumphant begin on Saturday as they defeated Burundi 1-0.
Gernot Rohr’s side, who are 89 puts above Burundi in FIFA’s reality rankings, battled for significant lots in their Group B opener at the Alexandria Stadium however fixed every one of the three in the 77th moment.
Odion Ighalo, presented for Paul Onuachu only four minutes sooner, hooked onto Ola Aina’s brilliant back-obeyed pass and coolly whipped the ball past Jonathan Nahimana.
Nigeria will would like to put in an immeasurably improved presentation against Guinea on Wednesday, while Burundi face Madagascar daily later.
Nigeria battled in the beginning times and could have fallen behind following 14 minutes however Daniel Akpeyi pawed away Cedric Amissi’s ground-breaking volley.
At the opposite end, Samuel Chukwueze blasted over from Alex Iwobi’s draw back without further ado before the half-hour mark, while a plain John Obi Mikel headed wide from six yards before long.
Burundi finished the half emphatically, with just a fingertip spare from Akpeyi keeping out Frederic Nsabiyumva’s circling header.
Kenneth Omeruo headed over not long after the restart for the Super Eagles before Akpeyi pushed Fiston Abdul Razak’s long-run drive around the post.
The stage was then set for Ighalo, the Shanghai Shenhua forward clinically lifting past Nahimana and in off the right-hand post to get his side ready for action in the competition.
Key Opta actualities:
- Nigeria have won their opening game at the Africa Cup of Nations just because since 2006 (1-0 against Ghana).
- Nigeria have won five of their six amusements against a debutant group at the Africa Cup of Nations (D1).
- Nigeria are unbeaten in their last six AFCON gathering stage amusements (W4, D2).
- Odion Ighalo scored only three minutes and 27 seconds subsequent to going ahead. He scored his first objective during his first AFCON game, on his initially shot.
- Mohamed Amissi turned into the main player conceived in 2000 to make a showing at the Africa Cup of Nations.
Here is a goal highlight between Nigeria And Burundi AFCON 2019